From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:20:05 -0800

Hi All--

If none of you recall my original query, it's for good
reason...I forgot to write a summary. The issue was
that I *really* liked Bob's Red Mill GF Wonderful
Homemade Bread Mix, but the rising was very
inconsistent. Thanks to everyone who tried to
troubleshoot my problem and offered suggestions. After
trial and error, I found out the problem!

The directions on the package say to mix at medium
speed for 3 minutes. The times I had access to a
KitchenAid mixer (my sister-in-law's house), the bread
rose nice and tall. I have a Black & Decker hand mixer
and though it's pretty powerful, it's awkward trying
to keep the dough from traveling up the beaters into
the mixer. Consequently, I didn't always beat the
dough for 3 minutes.

So, the moral of the story and the tip to a terrific
loaf of GF bread from this mix is to beat the dough
for 3 minutes. Since I don't have a KitchenAid mixer,
I figure I'll be buying hand mixers several times a
year as I gum each one up with dough. Is the bread
worth it? I think so.

Thanks, again, to everyone who put their time and
energy into responding so many months ago.

Cheers,
Ayn/Alabama