From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:18:30 -0500

Hello,

Embarrassing question, but I have to ask.  Fiber supplements (at least
Citrucel) have a warning on the label stating that you should not take it on
a constant basis without a doctor's recommendation, since it is possible to
develop a dependence on it.  Does anyone have an concerns about this?  An MD
told me to take it to reduce symptoms of IBS, but did not provide any
guidance about how often (I thought he meant every day).  A friend (nursing
student) told me that you can easily become dependent on fiber supplements
and can develop severe problems later in life if you take it every day. I
never had constipation before taking the Citrucel, but I do now if I don't
take it every day.  The usual suggestions don't help (prunes, gallons of
water, rice bran, etc.).  I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, but no gluten
or dairy.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Erin