From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:11:05 -0500
Hi Andrew;

>Richard's quote of 3:3:1 referred, as i have explained, to the composition
>of kangaroo fats. Why should we try to match this ratio?

I have heard different ratios mostly around that figure (3:3:1, 4:4:1 etc.,
in around there).

>secondly, since the ratios of the intramuscular fat is similar to the
>visible edge fat, why is it ok to have the former but not the latter?

Because we are trying to cut down the total quantity of saturated fatty
acids found mostly in the visible fat seen around the edges of our steaks
(which is obviously the easier place to to carry out this reduction). If we
reduce the total amount of sat fats eaten, then that will change our ratio
of unsaturates to saturated fats taken in.

If however we eat grassfed meats, then we need not worry about trimming fat
because the fatty acid profile is already close to the optimum healthy ratio
(3:3:1, 4:4:1?).

>so we can have any fat of any wild animals?

Most wild animals would probably have a very good fatty acid profile.

Marilyn