From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:04:47 +0900
Ken Stuart wrote:

> Thus, in the Paleo Diet, sugar is to be avoided, but sugar cane and dates are
> acceptable - assuming that both are edible raw (I know very little about those
> particular plants, although I know that sugar cane is eaten frequently in Asia
> in what appears to be a raw state).

Sugar cane is edible, that is, it is easy to suck the sweet
juice out after chewing the inedible pith of the stalk. It
is rather good, very refreshing on a hot day. But people who
make a habit of it invariably have no front teeth, just
black stubs. I saw a lot of that when working in a sugar
town. The kids chewed cane all day long. Some wonderful
drinks can be made from the fresh juice, just put it in a
pot and leave it in a cool place a day or two. It begins to
ferment and becomes a nice cider-like drink. Each day you
wait it gets stronger, until it finally spoils.