From:
krosenth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:55:00 -0500
ABSTRACT: Meat, fish and egg intake and risk of breast cancer
    [01/13/2003; International Journal of Cancer]

Intakes of animal protein, meat, and eggs have been associated
with breast cancer incidence and mortality in ecological
studies, but data from long-term prospective studies are limited.
We therefore examined these relationships in the Nurses' Health
Study. We followed 88,647 women for 18 years, with 5 assessments
of diet by food frequency questionnaire, cumulatively averaged
and updated over time. We calculated the relative risks (RR)
and 95% confidence intervals (95% CI) for risk of developing
invasive breast cancer, over categories of nutrient and food
intake. During follow-up, 4,107 women developed invasive breast
cancer. Compared to the lowest quintile of intake, the RR and
95% CI for the highest quintile of intake were 1.02 (0.92-1.14)
for animal protein, 0.93 (0.83-1.05) for red meat and 0.89 (0.79-1.00)
for all meat. Results did not differ by menopausal status or
family history of breast cancer. We found no evidence that intake
of meat or fish during mid-life and later was associated with
risk of breast cancer.

The full article can be found at:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/102522426/START