C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:02:13 -0400
Kat,

I was working at a bank in the early '80s installing the (then) new ATMs.
There were only two at the time: IBM and Diebold.  Both had braille chars on
the touchpad and buttons even then, We were told that it was to allow blind
folk to type in their own pin, even though there is no braille output.
Entering the PIN is always the first transaction, so the blind individual
would know when to type.  You're right--it was a half-assed attempt at
accessibility and they haven't improved in 25 years.

Kyle