From:
Lois Isenman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:42:57 EST

Sorry this has taken so long-I've quoted almost in full for those interested

Lois

------
Call the Red Star Yeast hotline for Celiacs. 1 800 4 CELIACS. They can tell
you how to program it so that it only rises once and the total time is 2:45.
----

From Gluten-Free Pantry
    We have recommended settings for programming the machine for gluten-free
breads: preheat 12 min; first two rises are zero, third rise is 30-40 min.;
bake 55 min, keep warm is zero.
-----
I use the following settings on this bread machine to make the attached
bread recipe:

Warm        10
Knead       18
Rise 1  off
Rise 2  off
Rise 3  70 minutes
Bake        60 minutes
Warm        off
Light crust setting

I remove my loaf immediately after baking.

Tiana- White Bread
Mix well the night before and refrigerate: (for improved texture)
1 cup   brown rice flour
1 cup   white rice flour
_ cup   potato starch flour
_ cup   sweet rice flour
_ cup   brown sugar
1 1/3   cup non-fat dry milk
3 _ tsp xanthan gum
1 _ tsp salt

In the morning: Stir 1 _ tsp sugar in _ cup warm water to dissolve.
Sprinkle almost 1 tbsp dry yeast on top, set aside for 10 minutes.
Melt _ cup butter in 1 _ cup water, cool to lukewarm
In separate bowl, beat 2 eggs
After ten minutes for the yeast mixture, mix dry ingredients with   yeast
mixture, beat well.
Add butter mixture, again beat well.
Add the 2 beaten eggs, again beat well.
Pour mixture into bread maker and follow directions.

Tiania says:
I do not have a bread maker, so I beat each addition on a low speed in my
mixer for 7 minutes, let rise in my oven that has warmed to 200 degrees
then turned off, for about one hour.  I bake the bread for 20 minutes at 350
degrees, cover with foil, and continue baking for an additional 20-25 minutes.

Jean says:
The night before prep seems like a lot of work, but once you get going it’s
not bad.  I mix two dry batches at a time : one to use the next morning and
the other to use later (I’ve kept them up to a week or two).  I’ve baked
this bread both ways- oven and bread machine.  I’m not a great baker, so I
get more consistent results in the bread machine.  However, I’ve learned that
if I mix really well when adding ingredients (at least a good five or so
minutes with each addition), the bread has a smoother top in the bread
machine.  When I’ve only mixed a minute or so it had a pebble-like texture.
-----

 I found that the machine WAY overmixes the bread and underbakes it. I can
cut the mixing time short, but I was never able to increase the baking time!

If you call the customer service number they are very helpful. But I
found that mixing by hand for three to four minutes (vigorously) and
baking in the oven for 60 to 70 minutes turned out a decent loaf of
bread!

------

I have that same machine.  I program it as follows.

Preheat 5 min
Knead 15 min
Rise - only ONE cycle - 30 minutes
Bake 60 minutes or as long as the machine will let you.
Try never to open the lid once it starts rising, unless you can peek through
the window and see that it's too lopsided - then I'll gently try to level.

 Never open while baking.  Yes, it does take a long time.  --- even in the
oven, that mix takes longerthan 30 minutes to bake.  More like 45-50.

-----

I have come up with two recipes for bread.  I'll send the recipes
along, and they have my Zo settings at the bottom as part of the
directions.  My bread takes 2 hours, 8 minutes in the bread machine.

Olivia's Gluten-Free Bread (for bread machine)

3 large eggs (beat slightly by hand)
1 tsp cider vinegar (wheat free - ingredients)
3 Tbs. Canola oil
1   cups water (as hot as will come out of your tap)
Mix the above ingredients together, then place in bread machine pan.

Add together:

1 cup white rice flour      2 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 cup brown rice flour      2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 cup potato starch       1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup dry milk            1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp gelatin

Mix the dry ingredients together well and pour on top of liquid
 (liquid should be in the pan).  Spoon in on top of the flour:
2 Tbs. butter (chunks of butter in several areas)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast  (place in center of pan on
               top of flour - make a small hole)

I bake mine in the Zojirushi at the following settings:
Warm:  15 minutes
Mix:  18 minutes
Rise:  43 minutes
Bake:  55 minutes
Crust:  Medium

A few minutes into the mix cycle, use a spatula to scrape any flour
off of the sides of the pan and into the batter.  The dough tends to
bunch up around the beaters, so during the mix cycle I sometimes
use the spatula to even it out a bit.  Batter should be about the
consistency of frosting, and is VERY STICKY.  At the start of the
rise cycle, I use the spatula to even out the batter and give it a
smooth top before baking.
------------------------------------
Bean Bread (for the bread machine)

Make a mix of:
1 cup light bean flour (I make my own flour by grinding small white
               beans)
3/4 cup brown or white rice flour (I use brown)
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour
2 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. gelatin
3 Tbsp. brown sugar

Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
Mix together:
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted margarine or butter (1/2 stick)
1 tsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 cups water.

Put the wet ingredients in the pan first, then place
the dry ingredients on top.  Make a well in the flour
and add 2 and 1/2 tsp. yeast.
You may need to add a bit more water (a tsp. at a time) and stir when it
first begins to mix to ensure that all the flour is combined well.