From:
Lois Isenman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 11:44:41 EST

Hi,

I'm a new Celiac doing due diligence-thought I'd share the results about
Tabasco Sauce-(and hopefully get some help orienting to them as well as other
related issues, since).  What do people make of .016% gluten?  Is this a
reasonable dectection limit  for a  gluten test or are there more sensitive
tests that they could have used?   Is this the test that is generally used
when products are labelled gluteen free?   I will also contact the lab that
did the test, but thought I might garner your collective practical wisdom as
well.

(Thank you for your interest in our TABASCO® and McIlhenny Farms® products.

 All of our products that contain vinegar as an ingredient, use the same

grain vinegar.  Vinegar is produced by fermenting a grain based alcohol.

The principal grains used in alcohol production are wheat and milo. Gluten

and other proteins are removed during the alcohol fermentation process.

McIlhenny Company uses a single supplier, National Vinegar Company in

Houston, TX for all its vinegar needs. The raw material supplier to

National Vinegar Company has assured us that in the process of making the

distilled alcohol from grain, gluten and all other proteins are removed.

Thus the vinegar is free of gluten.

As an added precaution, McIlhenny Company has tested all its sauces and

vinegar to ensure that the product is gluten free. The tests were

conducted by the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program at the

University of Nebraska Lincoln. The detection limit of the test used was

0.016%. No gluten was detected in TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce using this

test.

Even though no gluten was detected in TABASCO® sauce this does not

indicate that the sauce is gluten free. McIlhenny Company strongly

suggests that consumers, who are affected by Celiac Sprue or are affected

by the consumption of gluten in any way, consult a doctor prior to using

TABASCO® brand products.

Thank you for your interest in our company and our products. )

Lois Isenman
Newton, MA