From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:02:43 EST

Hi Alice,

I should have mentioned that some chinese restaurants are using a soy sauce
that is not made from wheat because it is cheaper.  Ask to see the can it
comes in.  Sometimes in comes in those little cellophane packs they give with
the food.

As for me, I have been fortunate enough to find a local takeout where they
know me as "wheat girl" and whenever I call for a delivery they know to rinse
out the wok and not to use soy sauce or, even worse, hoisin sauce which has
even more wheat in it.  I do not see language as a barrier and find that
Chinese Americans are among the most loyal and devoted citizens.  They work
hard and want to please their clients.  If necessary, I point and use sign
language to get my needs across and I have never had anyone give me trouble.
I have even had some places take my wheatfree soy sauce and use it without
any trouble.  I think that it is all in the attitude we show up with.

I've seen and dined with celiacs in restaurants who speak in very demanding
terms with a nasty attitude.  Just last weekend I was in a Boulder Creek
restaurant in Whitestone, NY with a friend and a woman in the next booth was
blurting out her orders like a drill sargeant to the poor college student
waitress who had never heard of celiac.  The customer was saying things like
"And, don't you dare put any croutons in my salad like they did last time".

We have all seen those TV shows showing exactly what they do put in the salad
for customers like this.  So, in the end, if we are nice and make our needs
known in a way which educates and not humiliates, I think we can get fed well
just about anywhere.

Love and peace,

Libby
NYC