From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:38:23 -0500

A reply to Michael Thorn's question about the creation and
implementation of the project between Cynthia Kupper of GIG and Outback
Restaurant for their GF menu.

First, let me explain that Cynthia does not monitor this list,
therefore, she does not see all of the comments posted.

I contacted Cynthia and asked about giving the list some information on
this subject, and so here it is.

Cynthia was approached over two years ago by Outback management and
asked if she would review their menu for gluten free status. She spent
over a year working with them for the first publication. What you are
currently seeing is the second version of the Outback GF menu.

Cynthia tells me that Outback is unique in that they standardize and
control their recipes. Cooks are not given free reign in altering
recipes. They also buy from the same providers for all of their
restaurants and therefore their ingredients are controlled and
consistent. These two items make them an ideal restaurant to work with
on the GF diet. This allows all Outback Restaurants to have the same
identical recipes and products. Most chain restaurants allow the
restaurant chefs to substitute as needed and restaurant management to
determine who they purchase from.

After Cynthia and the Outback representative agreed on what would be
identified on the menu, Outback's Corporate Attorney's had to approve
the menu.

Cynthia has also been approached by a sister restaurant. They wanted her
to destroy all of her work that was used to evaluate their menu, to
protect their products. Cynthia explained to them, that she would not
destroy her documentation of reasons for making the decisions about
products that she does. Cynthia is a firm believer that decisions for
your diet must be well documented. Therefore, this restaurant chain was
not willing to proceed.

I had an early preview of the GIG 4th Quarter Newsletter and there is
detail on the Outback Restaurant GF menu there.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your visits to the Outback Restaurants and do
enjoy the 'Chocolate Thunder From Down Under.' You may want to send your
Thanks to Outback Corporate also for being a leader in the GF menu.
Michael Thorn gave the web page as
http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/menu/

Nancy Seattle, WA