From:
Linda Sowry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:24:06 EST

Hi to all,
    I am not one to buy mixes although I would like to, but don't want to
waste a ton of money if I don't like it.  I don't care for baking from
scratch either.  SO.....  I have found a quick and delicious pizza crust
recipe and one for my pie crusts.
    For the pie crusts I just use my tried and true recipe from Better Homes
and Gardens (the big red checkered cookbook).  I follow the directions for a
single pie crust (my husband loves this "regular" all purpose flour pie crust
and begs for it!)  :o)  so, I thought surely it could work with gluten free
ingredients.  It only has flour, salt, shortening, and water in it for those
who want a crust that is free of egg and all that.  I substitute my GF flour
mix (Bette Hagman's mix) and add 1 tsp of Xanthan Gum.  It does come out a
little sticky, so I try to use as little water as possible and plop it all in
my pie pan.  I use the short, small end of my Pampered Chef 2-sided tart
rolling thing-a-ma-jig, you know what I mean?  I can't think of what it's
called, but it works great right in the pan.  I do find myself flattening it
out some with my fingers to finish it off, but the whole process of making
the crust only takes about 5-7 minutes.  My husband couldn't tell the
difference in the taste of his and mine!
    About the pizza crust... When I was first diagnosed about 6 years ago, my
GI doctor didn't know a whole lot about celiac disease and sent me to the
nutritionist to get help on what to eat.  She told me about this list and
gave me this little blue leaflet from Argo and Kingsford cornstarch called
"Recipes for people with Gluten Intolerance".  I love it and use it often.
The first recipe is Gluten-Free Pizza.  I have used this ever since.  It
calls for a cup of rice flour, I use Bette's mixture, but it works with just
rice flour.  I also add some Xanthan Gum.  It's like a big, pizza sized soft
cracker-like crust.  You cook it first then add the toppings.  Hard to
explain really, but trust me!  I do use a piece of slightly wet plastic wrap
over the dough when I go to roll it into a pizza shape.  It is so quick and
easy, that I can call Pizza-Hut and order my family's pizza and then go pull
out my bowl and ingredients and be done easily before their pizza arrives.
It is not Pizza Hut pizza, but it costs me so little and is SOOO easy and
tastes awesome!
    On the back of the leaflet is says.. "For additional copies of this
leaflet write:
Gluten Intolerance Recipes
Dept. ARX, Box 307
Coventry, CT  06238
    Granted, this leaflet is from 1992, but it is worth the time to write for
it, if you still can.  It also has:  Crepe Lasange, Corn Starch Crepes,
Creamy Chicken Curry, Cheese Puffs, Cheese Blintzes with Blueberry Sauce,
(never tried these first 5), Macaroni & Cheese (very good), Southern Corn
Bread, Cream of Broccoli Soup (excellent), Carrot Cake (excellent), Easy
Pineapple Cheesecake (awesome and worth getting the whole leaflet for this
recipe), Easy Vanilla Pudding (good too), Peanut Butter Cereal Treats
(haven't tried), and delicious Chocolate Mousse Cake.  All the recipes
obviously use cornstarch which is nice cause I can get it at Wal-Mart and
don't have to pay much for it!  :o)
    With all the talk about pizza crusts and pie crusts, I just had to write
and tell you about these that I use!  :o)  I hope this helps.  I would type
the recipes out on the list, but I'm not sure if I would be violating
copyright laws.  Let me know if you have any questions.
    Linda  :o)
    Pensacola, Florida   USA