From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 23:19:51 -0800
We used do pigs all the time for the 4th of July celebration in Ester.  We
have a BBQ pit at the park about the dimensions listed below, lined with
cinder blocks.  After the bed of coals is ready (we use a combination of
hardwood and 10-15 large bags of hardwood charcoal), complete with some large
stones for heat-sinks, prepare the pig as below, wrap in wet newsprint, and
lower into the pit.  Cover with more wet newsprint.  The wet newspaper is a
fine substitute for the leaves, and very easy to deal with.  Any ink from the
newsprint never gets past the pig skin.  A 140 to 180-lb pig will be steamed
to falling-off-the-bone perfection in 12-14 hours.  I think cooking a pig
this way is a lot easier than spitting it because it is extremely hands-off
while the pig is cooking.  We usually start the fire about 9:00 p.m., and get
the pig on by midnight or shortly thereafter.  Food is served by about 2:00
p.m. on the 4th of July, after the parade.

Lisa Sporleder
Ester, Alaska