From:
Debra Boutin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 1995 06:44:14 -0500

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 3 months ago.  My brother had
gone to a doctor 10 years ago complaining of many of the same symptoms
(all vague, none really classic) and was told there was nothing wrong
with him.  For the last 10 years he has been struggling, figuring
everyone must feel this way and he'd just have to cope.  My diagnosis
gave him hope that there was something he could do.  It took two
months (and 4 visits) to convince his doctor that celiac disease was
worth testing for (because it's so "rare").  What finally convinced
the doctor was giving her the Americal Celac Society newletter with
an article on family incidence of celiac disease.  His anti-glidian
test was positive and he goes for his biopsy on Monday.  My newphew
(my brother's son) is a 4 year old who is quite short for his age
and VERY thin for his height.  He will be tested soon also.  The only
thing that clued my doctor in to what it might be was a high red
cell count that led to checking my B-12 levels and finding them very
low.  That eventually led us to celiac disease and could have been
missed VERY easily.  I thank God for that doctor's patience and
persistence (so does my brother!)

The earlier posting on the lime used to treat corn in corn tortillas.
Why is lime a problem?  Does it contain gluten?  If it does, does
that mean ordinary chalkboard chalk contains gluten?  I am a
mathematician so this could be quite important to me.

Debra L. Boutin