From:
Debra Boutin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 04:39:08 -0500

I also had atypical symptoms.  I had been complaining of vague
symptoms for two years: general exhaustion, depression, light-headedness.
I did have bellyaches, but no *real* diahrea.  The only thing that
finally led my doctor to a diagnosis of celaic disease was a slightly
high red cell count.  This is sometimes an indication of vitamin
B-12 deficiency, which it was in my case (all my other blood levels
were normal).  This B-12 deficiency slowly and finally led us to
investigate celiac disease.  It was confirmed by biopsy 3 months ago.

My brother has been complaining of similar vague symptoms for 10
years!  He is currently awaiting the results of his biopsy (he tested
positive for anti-giladin).

By the way, I am still having the bellyaches (though there is certainly
some improvement).  But for me I think it's still to early to tell.
I'm still learning about living gluten-free (mostly I'm learning from
this list; doctors don't seem to be much help in this regard.)  They
know a lot about symptoms and diagnosis, but not much about the reality
of living with celiac disease.

Debra Boutin