From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:13:08 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/02 3:59:49 PM,  "Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<< Medical experts on salt generally agree that it has a multitude
of bad effects. Salt is major cause of hypertension, osteoporosis, gastric
cancer and other diseases. >>

Are these the same "medical experts" who generally agree that a high
meat/saturated fat/low carb diet also has a multitude of bad effects?

Your assertion about the bad effects of salt has never been tested in the
framework of a Paleo type diet, has it? In other words, where has there been
a study using two basically identical groups of people, both eating the same
Paleo sort of diet, with one group given unrefined sea salt, and the other
allowed no salt? There is no such thing. And even if there were, the diseases
you attribute to the effects of salt would take so many years to develop, it
certainly wouldn't be a practical experiment.

I'm not trying to stir up another endless discussion about the pros and cons
of eating salt. That went on for a long time on this list quite some time
ago. I'm just trying to point out the logical fallacy of attributing certain
outcomes to one variable, when so many others are not being controlled for.

Meanwhile, I will personally go on eating plenty of French sea salt on my
"modern Paleo" foods.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY