From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:02:42 -0400
>the epidemic of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes has more to do with
>the consumption of starch and sugar than non-organic meats.

In at least this study they say that, "saturated fat significantly increased
insulin resistance". See below.

My thinking is that it is important and vital that people eat a good BALANCE
of different fats (like the paleos did by consuming the whole, better
fat-ratioed, animal) and that an emphasis of saturated fat intake will lead
to an early grave.

Marilyn

------------

Type of dietary fat and insulin resistance.

Rivellese AA, De Natale C, Lilli S.

Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico II University
Medical School, Napoli, Italy. [log in to unmask]

Animal studies have already shown the possibility to modulate insulin action
by changing not only the amount of total fat, but also the type of fat. In
these studies, saturated fat significantly increased insulin resistance,
long- and short-chain omega(3) fatty acids significantly improved it,
whereas the effects of monounsaturated and omega(6) polyunsaturated fatty
acids ranged somewhere in between the two. A recent multicenter study (the
Kanwu study) on humans has shown that shifting from a diet rich in saturated
fatty acids to one rich in monounsaturated fat improved insulin sensitivity
in healthy people, while a moderate omega(3) supplementation did not affect
it; this second finding confirms previous results in type 2 diabetic
patients with hypertriglyceridemia. There are also other aspects of the
metabolic syndrome that can be influenced by the different type of dietary
fat, particularly blood pressure and lipid metabolism. With respect to blood
pressure, the majority of studies show that omega(3) fatty acids are able to
reduce blood pressure in hypertensive patients, but not in normotensive
individuals; this result has been confirmed also by the Kanwu study, where
no changes in blood pressure were seen after omega(3) supplementation in
healthy people. On the other hand, in this study, the change from saturated
to monounsaturated fatty acids was able to significantly reduce diastolic
blood pressure. As to the lipid abnormalities more frequently present in the
metabolic syndrome (i.e., hypertriglyceridemia and low HDL cholesterol), the
main effects are related to omega(3) fatty acids, which surely reduce
triglyceride levels, but at the same time increase LDL cholesterol. In
conclusion, there is so far sound evidence in humans that the quality of
dietary fat is able to influence insulin resistance and some of the related
metabolic abnormalities.