From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:31:09 EDT
Hi Richard,

I think the point was that hormones do not survive both digestion AND
cooking.  I've never used birth control pills but the product inserts for
numerous brands of the pill are available on-line and they all seem to have
the warning:  Keep Away From Heat and Light; and/or Heat and Moisture May
Cause This Product to Breakdown.   Wouldn't this  hold true for any residual
hormones residing in beef /poultry tissue? I'm wondering if someone subjected
their birth control pills to baking or roasting or grilling temperatures --
would they still be effective??  I doubt it.  Also, according to the
maverickranch.com site cited by Richard, any rise in hormone levels from
implants given to cattle is insignificant -- Here's a quote from the website:

"MYTH Cattle are pumped full of artificial hormones called steroids.FACT –
About half the beef in the U.S. have received a small implant at the base of
the ear. This implant simulates the natural endocrine system allowing the
animal to grow more muscle (protein) and less fat. The process only increases
the estrogen content of steer beef from 1.3 nanograms to 1.9 nanograms.
Compare this to a vegetable such as a potato that has 245 nanograms of
estrogen per 3.5 oz. serving. This is insignificant when we consider a
pregnant woman produces 20,000,000 nanograms of estrogen per day. An adult
male produces 68,000 nanograms of estrogen daily. Maverick Ranch Beef is from
cattle that are free of synthetic hormone residues, and we test to prove our
claims. A nanogram is one billionth of a gram."

R-Rated Question:  If a woman regularly had oral sex with a body-builder who
took steroids, would the steroids pass to her causing a decrease in her body
fat and increase in her musculature?

Adrienne