From:
Dave Gaviota <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Gaviota <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:22:05 -0800

Hi Everyone,

This past weekend, we went out to Outback Steakhouse in Thousand Oaks, CA for the first time to this chain since diagnosis.  We arrived before the dinner crowds fortunately, upon arrival I asked for the manager- Ed- I showed him the PDF menu I downloaded from their website and he knew all about it and crossed off those items not available here in CA and actually sat down for a few moments to talk, it was 4:15 pm, so perfect timing and nobody arriving yet.... proceeded to warmly tell me no problem and he and his staff were aware.  The waitress came who also knew about GF menu. I ordered the Medium prime Rib, the baked potatoe, salad and the Chocolate thunder... I had them split the Ice Cream off to share since I am Lactose intolerant.  Everything went well, enjoyed it very much and will go there as often as we can now.  The food was much better than I expected!!!!  Potatoes were really, really good and he indicated that they age them before cooking to make sure the starch level is correct.... something I was not aware of.

We drove down to Disneyland on Sunday to see Christmas decorations and take our daughter for her birthday.  I brought food along, but then got really hungry in afternoon and got lucky- I went into the River Belle restaurant right next to Pirates of the Caribbean.  My timing was perfect and was the last person in line before a shift change so they took their time.  I pondered the menu and had not planned ahead so asked about it and decided the Steak sandwich was a safe choice- EVERYONE was helpful.... There were about 5 employees asking all kinds of questions about CD so while I waited for the Steak sandwich sans bun/seasoning explained alot about it to them.  The cooks cleaned the grill as requested and everything was fine.

My feeling is that "Timing is everything" as the saying goes.  If I would have not been to either place at those times, my results might have been different. YMMV.

So a couple positive experiences to report.  We have our local restaurants we go to that we can trust and it seems to be ok most of the time.  Sure I have gotten stung by the Gluten monster a few times now, but I am trying to be living in the real world!!!

Dave