From:
Dave Gaviota <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Gaviota <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:05:10 -0700

Hi there,

I have not read anywhere in all my 7 weeks of daily reading/web research anything that explains the actual or estimated gluten "content" of various products in proportion to the mass/weight, etc.  In other words "how much" is in a certain product.  Perhaps there is nothing published for fear of problems/disclosure, accountability, etc. I am asking purely for information and trying to recount my pre-diagnosis situation why sourdough did not seem to be "that much of a problem".

You see, pre-dx. I used to eat Sourdough toast EVERY Day for breakfast for 4-5 years yet did ok with it, yet most of the bad episodes happened when I ate other things (As I recall- IE: Meat loaf, Chinese food, Wheat bread sandwiches, etc.)  I have never baked bread or know anything about how it is done, so perhaps there might be an answer but thought I might ask for someone that knows about this.  I would expect the air content/density variables of the bread would also have a bearing on the gluten.

So the specific question is how much gluten is in a slice of wheat bread versus a slice of sourdough bread, or say rye bread?  Does anyone have any such technical data or charts that approximate it- or "x parts per million" something like a ratio would be fine to confirm my theory.   I know this might be a weird question, but worst case is all I can get is a bunch of emails telling me it is a weird question...LOL.  I will just laugh if I do.

I find it amazing that I have not found anything that talks about it.  You know like there are cholesterol and fat content information in mg. on the back panels of products, even amounts of other stuff are defined per the laws.... but never have seen any anecdotal, factual data or even approximations on gluten content in various foods.  Maybe it varies all over the map so it cannot be quantified.  Maybe I am not looking in the correct website either.  Thanks!

Dave