Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:43:22 -0400

Just wanted to let you all know, with regard to taking B12 sublingually -
several of my doctors have told me that if you are malabsorbing, sublingual
B12 (or anything else sublingual) may not help at all.  I still don't
entirely understand that, since it was my understanding that taking
something sublingually meant it would go straight to the bloodstream from
underneath your tongue.

Perhaps a doctor on the list could explain this better than I?

My experience bears this out.  I took B12 sublingually for years, after
being tested by my neurologist in early 1996, and found to be borderline
low.  I was finally diagnosed as deficient in April this year, and have
been receiving injections since then.  I get them every other week right
now.  I didn't know I had celiac in 1996 - I was diagnosed not quite 2
years ago.  The B12 is finally making a difference.  I have put on 4
lbs!  I have energy, more appetite, and ability to tolerate foods that I
did not before (like my most recent addition, tomato sauce :)

Anyway, please discuss this with your doctor.  My initial blood test for
B12 came out around 200.  My doctor knew that a result in that range
(100-400) is considered unreliable, and testing for homocysteine and MMA
was done.  (This baddies will get high if you do not have the B12 to keep
them down.)  These 2 were elevated, and shots were begun immediately.

I also receive D shots.  After 2 years I am still malabsorbing (was sick
for a very long time), plus I am lactose intolerant and can't get out in
the sun.

Hope this helps someone.

Eileen