NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandr Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:39:17 -0500
Since the response I got on the phone from Nabisco was pretty vague, I sent
an e-mail to them last week questioning their kosher markings on the Oreos.
The response that I received from them follows.  It includes info that most
of us already know, but does state their policy on product labeling.
Sandy

If milk , peanuts or tree nuts are included in our product -- in any amount
they will be listed in the ingredient line.  Please be aware that
formulations may change and the best source of information is the ingredient
line.

The vast majority of our products clearly identify the eight major food
allergens (eggs, fish, shellfish, milk, peanuts, soy, tree nuts and wheat)
in common terms, such as milk, wheat or eggs, that are familiar to
consumers, in addition to the more technical terms required by food labeling
laws.  We are in the process of implementing common terms on all our labels.

U" inside a circle followed by a "D" means certified Kosher by the Union of
Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, and indicates the product may
contain Dairy ingredients.

If dairy is in fact in the product, the dairy ingredient contained in the
product will be listed in the ingredient statement.  If a product has been
manufactured on a line that has been certified Kosher, Dairy, this Kosher
symbol will also be printed on the packaging even if the product does not
contain dairy ingredients.

The Kosher status of a product can be dairy because of the equipment used in
manufacture, even if there is no dairy ingredient.  Kosher is a religious
concept, not a scientific one, and the Kosher Dairy status of a product
should never be used to make a determination about allergies.

We understand that allergic consumers are concerned about the potential
carryover of an allergen between products that are manufactured on shared
equipment.  Most of our production lines are designed to be convertible to
other products.

If a product is made on shared equipment, every reasonable precaution,
including stringent cleaning and sanitation practices, is taken to prevent
cross-contact with the eight major allergens (eggs, fish, shellfish, milk,
peanuts, soy, tree nuts and wheat).  When contact with one of these
allergens is unavoidable, then the product is labeled appropriately.