NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandr Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:46:45 -0500
Does anyone here have any experience with Nabisco products and their kosher
labeling?  I had a friend, whose son is very allergic to milk, tell me
recently that she had discovered Uh-Oh Oreos (white outsides and chocolate
middles) and Golden Oreos (white outsides and white middles) were
dairy-free.  She said that they do not have any dairy ingredients listed and
that she called the company and they told her they were produced in a
separate facility.  Her family has been eating them like crazy.

When I went to the store to check for myself I found that the packages do
not list any dairy ingredients, but both kinds of cookies are labeled OU-D.
I called Nabisco to question them and they told me that they always
specifically label any of the major allergens (which includes milk) in their
ingredient statements.  In addition, they will always state any
cross-contamination issues on their ingredient label.  I asked them why
these cookies were labeled OU-D and they told me that only means that the
cookies are kosher and does not mean their is any dairy in them.  I have
always avoided anything labeled OU-D thinking that it at least had
cross-contamination issues.  That is why I don't let my son have Nabisco
graham crackers.  I would love to be able to add some of these products to
his list of OK foods, but I am very hesitant to try them.  Has anyone here
tried them?

Sandy