C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:47:42 -0500
Old age and the stress of life has a way of making one pay. Hey, that rhymes!
Anyway, I read Hans Selye's Stress of Life as a very young man. He is(was)
a small Dutch scientist at McGill University who discovered cortisone. He
studied
the body's adaptation to disease and trauma. The last two chapters are
philosophical tenets stemming from his work. Bottom line is: reduce the
physical and emotional stress in ones life. They key concept of Selye's
that I still buy is that adaptive energy(life force, if you will) is given
to us in a finite quantity at birth. Once it is used up, the body goes and
we die. Unfortunately,
we use up alot of adaptive energy in the Stress of CP. This sounds like a
downer, but I believe it.

Bobby