From:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:30:59 -0800

Nine servings of fruits and veggies a day, fish and poultry instead of red
meat, canola or olive oil instead of saturated fats, and very little daily
bread is what Harvard has come up with in answer to the USDA’s food pyramid:
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1038046419276790.xml

A quote from the article referring to the USDA’s Food Pyramid: ‘ "It gives
people the false sense that diet should be composed mainly of bread," said
Jana Klauer, a nutritional researcher in New York. ‘

I know that’s what did me in by following the food pyramid. Look at the top
of the thing, it’s breads and grains, six servings a day, and no warnings
about possible diseases if you can’t digest said grains and grain products.

I think Harvard is getting it right. I am celiac and was already eating
close to the diet they came up with before they came up with it and I came
to it by necessity in order to survive and function normally with celiac
sprue. I also get sick from soy so their tofu recommendation is out for me,
and certainly no breads for me, but the rest of it is fine. It’s hard to get
sick from eating lots of fruits and veggies everyday I have found.

Be well,

Jerry,
California