From:
robert bilodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert bilodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:33:50 -0400

Hi listmates,

I learn to cope with the fear of life threatening allergy.  I have a medic
alert bracelet.  I carry an Epipen and when I am alone, a cell phone (I hate
cell phones).

I guess the best thing is to believe in a spirit greater than you (whatever
name you give to it) and trust life and your destiny.

I wrote to Bayer but did'nt get an answer yet.  I went to the drugstore and
ask a pharmacist.  I was told that (in Canada)  all medication with Asprin
in it are identified with a code "D" on a label.  You should also be
carefull with any other anti-inflammatory medication like Motrin and Advil.
The pharmacist told me to ask before taking ANY drug from now on, whether it
is cold syrup or medication for upset stomach like Pepto-bismol (aspirin in
it).

I found a very interesting site on Aspirin allergy:
http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/36.html

Below your answer and after that, my original post.

Thanks to all who responded to me it was greatly appreciated.

Johanne
Your answers:

I know that asthmatics commonly cannot tolerate aspirin or other
NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatories - like Ibuprofen, Motrin, etc) -
because it gives them bronchospasm.  Usually the bronchospasm is not as
severe as what you experienced.

If aspirin does cause you bronchospasm, then you should be very cautious
with a common food dye called FD & C Number 5 (in the U.S - not sure if it
is named differently in Canada).  Chemically the dye & aspirin are simillar
and folks who react to one will often react to the other.  Sulfa drugs
(sulfa antibiotics and sulfasalazine) are also kind of similar and you may
cross-react to those.

I'm sure you are right about your improvement, but alleviating the CD
symptoms doesn't necessarily do anything about OTHER separate problems.  My
daughter has CD AND a wheat allergy  (also mold, a couple of other things) .
Being gf gets rid of the wheat problems, but doesn't do a thing for the mold
allergy.

Carry your epipen, stay aware, but don't get paranoid about it.  You
obviously know when you're getting in trouble with it... use the epipen when
you have to.  My brother in law has carried an anti-allergy kit around with
him for over 30 years now.  Life goes on, and so does he.

Well, it sounds as though you have developed a sensitivity to salicylate,
the active component of aspirin!  I was just doing some research on this
very subject last night.  I found an interesting online book you can get for
about $10 all about this subject.

http://www.foodcanmakeyouill.co.uk/bookshop/sali.htm

It describes foods that contain salicylates that you should look out for, as
well.

also:

http://www.foodcanmakeyouill.co.uk

It would be useful to look into this.  I myself can not use aspirin, and it
is best to use an alternative.

*S*  Mostly we fear things that are new, or things we aren't used to, or
things we don't understand.

Eventually it won't be new, you'll be used to it, and you'll gain in
understanding.  The fear will go away.  Or at least become more manageable.

Isaiah 40:31  (don't mean to be intrusive in a way that offends, but it
works for me).."They that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength, they
shall rise up with wings as eagles.  They shall run and not grow weary; they
shall walk and not grow faint.."

    I'm allergic to that, too.  Watch out for all salicylates.  I have run
into the salicylate problem with toothpaste, and twice with products the
dentist used.  It turns up in odd little corners, just like gluten, where
you least expect it.  I've been told potatoes and several other vegetables
(which I
can't remember) are high in salicylates, but I have not had a problem with
potatoes yet.
    Controlling the auto-immunity may give you some allergy relief, but the
allergies don't go away, and you can still develop new ones or have old ones
get worse.
Same thing happened to me only for me it was fire ants.  I had gotten bitten
by them numerous times and then, shortly after I went off of gluten, got
bitten in my toe.  Within 5 minutes I had huge hives all over my body, that
pulsating, throbbing head & ear thing and my voice got hoarse from my throat
swelling.  I rushed to ER and was given IV's immediately and now carry an
epipen.  However, I have since gone totally off of grains (follow book,
Breaking The Vicious Cycle) and it has made a drastic difference for me.  I
can now get bitten by fire ants and have been stung by a wasp and have
hardly any reaction.  I freaked out the first time and the next dozen times
but it continued to be ok.  I can't believe it.

Johanne, I've had anaphylaxis reactions before too.  As long as you avoid
the offender, you'll be okay.  Just make sure you don't take any products
containing aspirin ever again.  Avoid all products containing salicylic
acid.  A pharmacist can help you determine which medications contain this
and which don't.  Some natural remedies contain this as well, especially
those with Willow bark extract.  Most packaging will alert you to the
presence of aspirin-like substances.