From:
robert bilodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert bilodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:35:01 -0400

part 2
_____________________________________

I would love to hear your summary on this, if you do one.  I am slowly
noticing more reactions to foods, and I have been GF for 3 years.  When I've
asked about this in the past on this list, many celiacs have responded that
celiacs tend to have other allergies and can develop allergies to other
things even after going GF.  It is upsetting, after all we have to deal
with.
 Perhaps you can have some allergy testing done at some point.  That is what
I plan to do.

I think aspirin allergy is pretty common though, isn't it?  I cannot
tolerate
any NSAIDs, which leaves out all those great advils and ibuprofens, and
aspirin.  Now I'm noticing different foods making my mouth itchy, my throat
close up, etc.  It is scary but if you take control and get yourself tested
you will be in control of the situation.
__________________________________

I thought my allergies troubled me much less after I started the gluten-free
diet, but after two years I've had to go back to the Beconase Nasal Spray.
The subject appears on the list quite often, probably one of those things
not
yet understood about Celiac.

______________________________________

My kids and I are all allergic to aspirin and sulfa.
I'm so allergic that I can't take any meds and most women by my age are on
30 some , Many are given meds and don't need them but the drug co push Dr
into prescribing them. I think a healthy died probably would suffice instead
of drugs
_____________________________________
This has been a busy week and I saved your message to respond to
later.  I have a few comments.  I have several medication allergies,
none serious.  You are lucky that you were in a hospital when the
reaction to aspirin happened.  Severe reactions and an anaphylactic
reaction can occur suddenly and unexpectedly from a food, a chemical,
a drug, an insect bite and so on.  Living in fear is not
practical--you can't avoid everything.  You may never react to
anything like this in the future.

My advice is to be alert to possibilities but not to let them terrify
you or rule your life.  Do, if you haven't, consult with a good
allergist and discuss your reaction to him/her and look at what you
need to do from the doctor's point of view.  An allergist can help
you look at your situation and answer some of your questions about
possible allergic reactions in your case.  Unfortunately allergies
are not always predictable and their development is complex.  You are
probably right that your allergies have been better, but that doesn't
prevent new allergies from occurring.

Carrying an Epipen is good to do.  You also need to wear a MedicAlert
identification band or necklace at all times.  In an emergency it is
important to let emergency personnel know that you have an specific
allergy and have had a serious reaction and that you carry an Epipen.
Talk with your allergist and get his/her advice as what to put on
your tag and how to describe your reaction.  (I have no connection
with MedicAlert.  I believe that it is the best identifier as they
keep more information and are available from anywhere in the US and
internationally.  I have worn a necklace for some 30 years).
http://www.medicalert.org

________________________________

You are doing just the right thing, carrying your epipen. Since you are so
anxious
about this, why don't you get a cell phone too, so you will feel you can
call for
help immediately if you need it? Then do not be shy about calling 911. You
could
consider wearing a medical alert bracelet too, so if you should pass out,
they will
know you are allergic to aspirin. You could also get tested for other
allergies,
such as peanuts and penicillin. However, my allergy testing shows I am
allergic to
literally everything- I even react on skin tests when they test with
distilled
water or saline solution- it is called reactive skin or some such thing. So
I can't
tell what I am truly allergic too. In any case one can develop new allergies
without warning. So epipen, phone, medi bracelet seem to be good things to
do.

My original post: