From:
J Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:47:33 +0000

Hi!  I just wanted to say that when I phoned my senators earlier today that
all I did was mention that I was calling about the Food Allergen Consumer
Protection Act , S.2499 (note:  I used both the name and bill #), and then
gave my name and the fact that I was a registered voter in Columbus and that
I wanted Senator (fill in appropriate name here ;>) to support the act,
S.2499.  I mentioned the bill twice to be sure they got it.  No one at
either office requested my full address or the correct spelling of my name
so I followed up with an e-mail, which I am copying below FYI or if anyone
would like to adapt/use it themselves.

Jane in OH

Dear Senator DeWine,

I am writing to you to ask for your support for the Food Allergen Consumer
Protection Act (S.2499).  I telephoned your office this afternoon on this
issue and am following up in writing because this issue is of great
importance to me.  As a celiac, I need to adhere to a strict gluten-free
diet – no wheat, oats, barley, rye or their derivatives and absolutely no
cheating allowed.  The current state of food labeling makes this very
difficult as there are many hidden glutens:  packaging of frozen vegetables
may be dusted with flour or wheat starch to reduce sticking, chocolates and
other confections may have flour on them as part of the manufacturing
process (belts dusted with flour to reduce sticking), HVP (hydrolyzed
vegetable protein) may be from a grain that is toxic to celiacs, “natural
flavors” may contain malt or some other flavoring that is natural but poison
to me.  I could go on but I think you can see where the many pitfalls lie.
The voluntary efforts on the part of the food industry have been good but
they do not go far enough and, as they are voluntary not all manufacturers
are adhering to them.

Although my own and the combined efforts of the celiac community have
informed me of the many commercial products available, the need to
constantly call and verify information remains.  While eating at home is
difficult enough, eating out while traveling, for business or for social
reasons becomes fraught with anxiety.  The celiac often misses out on many
of the everyday social intercourses that revolve around coffee and cake or
going out for a spontaneous meal or even being invited to someone’s home for
dinner due to the extreme details that must be researched for every single
ingredient in whatever food is being prepared.

I ask you again, Senator DeWine, to please put your whole-hearted support
behind this bill.  As a registered voter, I follow the voting records of my
representatives on www.congress.org but would very much appreciate knowing,
before the vote, what your position is on this bill.  You may send that
information to me by e-mail at: ...

Very truly yours,