VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harvey Boots <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Boots <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 07:18:25 -0500
Here is some information about the Nigerian scam that I pulled off the www.scambusters.org web site. It is a very dangerous scam.

Harvey Boots

What should you do if you receive a letter like this?

The U.S. Secret Service has instructed anyone in the US who has lost funds because of this scam to forward appropriate written documentation to:

U.S. Secret Service
Financial Crimes Division
950 H Street, NW,
Washington, DC 20001.
(202) 406-5850
Or send email using the Secret Service form or
direct to [log in to unmask]

If you have received a letter, but have not lost any monies to this scheme, please fax a copy of that letter to (202) 406-5031.

If you are outside the United States, you should report it to your local authorities and send documention via fax to the U.S. Secret Service.

Be careful. This scam can be physically dangerous as well as dangerous to your finances. Victims are almost always requested to travel to Nigeria or a border country to complete a transaction. Victims are often told that a visa will not be necessary to enter the country. The Nigerian scam artists may then bribe airport officials to pass the victims through Immigration and Customs. Because it is a serious offense in Nigeria to enter without a valid visa, the victim's illegal entry may be used by the scam artists as leverage to coerce the victims into releasing funds. Violence and threats of physical harm may be employed to further pressure victims. In June of 1995, an American was murdered in Lagos, Nigeria, while pursuing a 4-1-9 scam, and numerous other foreign nationals have been reported as missing.

Recommendation: Avoid these scams like the plague! Don't let promises of large amounts of money impair your judgment.
unquote