VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 22:00:24 +0100
I know this won't be the solution to everyone's stuttering speech, but
some of you may find the following of interest which I received from a
JAWS user earlier this week.

George Bell.

Well, I've finally solved the problem of not being able to play a .wav
file
while JAWS is running.

Even with all sounds disabled, JAWS was still stuttering terribly and
sounded like it had its head in a bucket. That's when I began to think
about
audio compression. I know that some .wav files are saved in a compressed
format and decompressed at run time. So, I went to the MS web site and
searched for "play compressed wav" and got a Knowledge Base article
relating
to Windows 3X. This had a link to an article about Windows 9X.

Obviously this is a known problem. The simple solution is to go to:
Add/Remove programs, Windows Components, Multimedia. Then press the
Details
button.

The first item is "Audio compression". Uncheck it and close the
dialogue. At
this point I tested JAWS and already things were much improved.

Next, go back to the "Audio compression" component and recheck it, so it
gets reinstalled. Bingo!

Three and a half days of listening to JAWS sounding dreadful, and the
solution takes about 30 seconds.