NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:43:05 -0400
"Mariah Fairley wrote:"

> QUESTION: my question is, is it possible for her to react if i have
> even the smallest amount of dairy?

Yes, unfortunately it is.  I had one like that. (btw, I was *very strictly*
dairy free while breastfeeding until he was 15 months, at which point he
began tolerating dairy both in my diet and directly -- now at 7yo he had
no sign of allergy).

The other bad news is that the next most likely allergy for a milk-allergic
infant is often soy (so there go all the milk-alternative products).

> QUESTION: im also wondering does bread have milk in it even though
> the label doesnt indicate it?

It shouldn't (as long as you are looking for all the various names milk
can appear under).  Lots of breads do have milk, but certainly not all.
Look for a bread marked "Kosher Pareve" for a good sign that it should
be dairy free (but there are lots of caveats there).

> i just dont know if i can go on with only chicken and rice for the next
> year.

Well, obviously, chicken and rice is not a suffucient diet for you.
And if your nutrition suffers, so does your breasted child's.  See a
nutritionist if you have questions about how to eat a balanced diet
within the bounds of your baby's restrictions.  Sweet potatoes, if
you like them, are a great rarely-allergenic source of many nutrients.
You will need a calcium source or supplement.

> p.s. i live in egypt now so cant find a good allergist or a dr who
> knows much of anything about this kind of thing.

I don't know what the labelling laws are in egypt.  If you can find a
Jewish community, they can help you find reliably dairy-free items as
Jews are prohibited from mixing milk and meat in any form.

Good luck,
--Robyn