VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Justin Philips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Philips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 10:54:16 +0530
Well, that ftc address is a legitimate one and they are trying to prosecute
the spammers.

As to how you get them, many newsletters, mostly the shady ones, rent or
sell the names and addresses to 3rd parties. There are also spambots or
spiders that that scout all webpages for the "@" and grab all the email ids
it can grab. Other spamers use the dictionary-like email-id gnerating
software, which generates addresses and send it out to popular domains like
hotmail, earthlink, etc.

These things are only going to get worse, so you need to use filters, or
get anti-spam software that will recognize and delete the spam for you.

Justin