Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:48:06 +0900
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

Hello Amadeus, back in fine form, I see.

> Cattle  make only 7 to 10 % of all ernergy eaten into meat or fat.

Actually the similar go for other forms of Ag, even
vegan. Most of the energy value of the plant is lost as it
is indigestible for humans. Cows can actually improve this
if they are eating things humans do not.

> It's just the space necessary to feed people.
> With animals you yust need the 10-fold space per person to live.
> In the USA or Australia you might consider space as endless.
> The USA are very thin populated. For most other countries it's different.
> Including America, Europe, Asia, Africa, anywhere.

Actually most countries are as thinly populated as the US.
Africa for example is about equal to North America in pop
density. Only Europe, the Indian subcontinent, and a few
other places are really overpopulated.

> In Europe we're at the boundary of what's possible with the usual way of
> life.

But fortunately Europe's populations are predicted to
plummet in the next few decades. Soon Germany will be back
to pre-industrial-revolution levels. So no problem. Right?

 Germany's fields (including grasslands of course) are about
double the
> space what would be necessary to feed the people with plants and organic
> farming.

So...where is the problem. Seems you have plenty of space,
especially if you import meat from superior producers, the
vast uninhabited spaces of the earth.

> The big planes of america would make it possible to support a smaller number
> (maybe even all USA inhabitants) with pastoralism

Maybe. I have not seen any decent figures on this. I suspect
it is true, but the fact of the matter is that the vast
majority of the people are not going to convert to an
all-meat diet, or anything close to it. So the whole point
is moot. We only need to produce enough animals to feed
those who want to eat them. No problem.

> Then it's only the last decision to make. Like someone else mentioned a few
> days ago. Will I want the death of a sheep for my food, or not.
> The sheep may have been happy and  healthy before.

Yep. That is a sheep's proper place in the ecosystem, food
for me. Just as I will be food for the bacteria someday, and
cycled through, probably to become nutrients for other sheep
at some point. Neatly circular. By the way, there have been
increased reports of some large cat, probably a mountain
lion, in the woods just a few hundred yards from my parents
home. When I was home in June I spent a considerable time
walking in those woods. It is possible that a lion could
have eaten me, or even come up near the house and taken one
of my little girls. I carried a large caliber handgun when I
was out. Silly, perhaps. And not something the average
European can identify with, living in long since tamed lands.