NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 07:33:34 -0400
Hi -

Since the products you're eating are manufactured in Egypt (I assume)
then yes, you should assume that there are hidden ingredients in things.
Even in the US a small amount of undeclared milk is permitted in food
products.

Your best bets are:

soursough bread (the standard recipe includes no milk)
challah bread (again, no milk in the standard recipe)

Find a Jewish community locally, explain your problem, and ask them for
help.  I'm not sure how many Jews are in Egypt at the moment, but because
 of the laws of Kashrut, observant Jews are good at knowing what has milk
in it, and what does not. (See the Kosher section of my web site for details.)

Corn is another suspect.  Oils in general are NOT likely suspects, although
specific ones could certainly trigger a reaction.  (NOt the oil itself, but
contamination by whatever it's extracted from.)

I hope these ideas help,
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.

NOTE:  No email is read at my MIT address.  Use the AOL one if you would
like me to reply.