From:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:21:29 -0700

      In any German-speaking country, look for the word "Reformhaus" on a
store.  These are health food stores where you can buy a HUGE range of GF
foods - delicious, too.  When I was in Austria last summer, I actually
brought lots of stuff home with me because it was better (and cheaper,
especially since the dollar was so strong at that point) than what I can get
here.
goodies. Repeat: ALL PHARMACIES [pharmacia] everywhere. You just say "senza
glutinay" [phoenetic] and they whip open drawers full of stuff.
*re :restaurant cards::didn't need to read it, they just said
"seal-lee-ah-chee, si si" and did their thing. Vinegars there are almost
always wine,so that isn't an issue.
*Coeliac Society of Italy www.celiachia.it  is helpful as well, they  have a
list of restaurants that are "approved" by them ....we never ate  at any of
the places, and didn't need to since everything was okay.
*The Coeliac Society gave me an excellent tip that I hadn't thought of. DO
NOT drink coffee kept warm in an urn. Most hotels [according to them] use a
mass produced coffee that contains *barley* ... Always get a freshly-made
cappucino or latte and life will be good.
* And the very best GF pastas are also from there! Bi-Aglut, Dr. Schaar,
and several others......  ¨ CD is so common in Italy that they even have gf
meals in the  schools!!!
¨ There are only a few things to watch out for, osso buco, for one  (which
has to be dredgedin flour.*There are wonderful Italian cookies (amaretti or
amaretti morbidi) madewithout wheat (always check for regional differences),
and I know that manycakes are made with potato flour.
¨ Heartily recommend the Italian page from the book "Against the grain".¨ .
The Italian translation about GF cooking can be found in the back  of the
Jax book.                                                    *Restaurant
Translation:"La Celiachia è un'intolleranza permanente al  glutine, che
provoca un danno alla mucosa intestinale,Il glutine è una  proteina
contenuta in alcuni cereali: frumento (grano),segale, orzo e  avena. TUTTI
gli alimenti che li contengono devono essere VIETATI anche  in piccole
quantità.
Si possono invece consumare liberamente riso, mais (granoturco), patate,
verdure, legumi,carne, pesce, uova, latte, formaggio, frutta.  Contiamo
sulla vostra gentile collaborazione per preparare un corretto  menu senza
glutine.
ALIMENTI CONTENENTI GLUTINE DI FRUMENTO, SEGALE, ORZO ED AVENA VIETATI
Pane, pasta, tortellini, ravioli,lasagne, farina, semolina, pizza,
focaccia, crackers, grissini, fette biscottate, biscotti, torte e
pasticcini.
PROBABILI FONTI NASCOSTE DI GLUTINE
Amido di frumento o qualsiasi altro amido alimentare non specificato,
malto, alcuni tipi di caramelle, dadi, lievito, salumi ed insaccati.