EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 08:39:31 -0400
I remember in grade school welearned braille, we also learned the sounds
of the letters.  we also learned in english how to write a correct
sentence and we learned in science and math how to read diagrams.  I
remember that before I learned how to structure a sentance, I did not
know what those little dots were for at the beginning of words and such.
I have relatively recently taught a person who does not know braille how
to write and read using speech synthesis.  It no longer takes a great
deal of care to read structure with a screen reader depending of course
on the screen reader you have but it does take a bit of training
although apparently not as much as it takes to become really good at
braille.  I have found that a person who can become good at braille can
also become quite fluent at developing litteracy through the computer.
In the cases I have observed this independantly of braille usage, the
lack of braille capability was a result of lack of finger sensativity.
I do think that aptitude is key but braille is not tied in any way from
all my years of experience to the outcome except that with braille, it
takes longer to get there.  Now, Having said that, it is almost if not
impossible to be a musician without knowing braille if one is blind and
wants to follow the form, and if one wants to comprehend art, one must
be tactile because it is impossible from what I understand for a
computer with speech and tones etc to convey that spacial sense needed
to achieve realization of appreciation for the images created.  This
would be true of charts and grafs but that screen readers are getting
more fascile with them.