From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:48:13 -0700

From Theresa:  You should be evaluated for Vit b12 deficiency. Taking
Folic acid can mask the symptoms of a B12 deficiency, which can cause
permanent muscular paralysis. It is very possible that you are right
about you being folic acid deficient, but I would not take the chance.
---------------
I'm so glad Theresa mentioned this to me.  This information is important
to any discussion about macrocytic anemia.  She is correct that
macrocytic anemia can be caused by B12 deficiency and/or folic acid
deficiency and that treating macrocytic anemia with only one of these
vital nutrients can "mask" the symptoms of deficiency of the other.
Folic acid use for macrocytic anemia will completely reverse the
hemotologic signs of macrocytic anemia w/i 2 months, so that if you are
also B12 deficient, there's no way to know except to have a serum B12
drawn.  In my case I know that I am not B12 deficient because I take B12
shots weekly so the only thing that could be causing the macrocytic
anemia is folic acid deficiency.  Long term B12 deficiency can cause very
serious & irreversable damage to the entire nervous system causing
dementia, mental illness, etc.   Because so many celiacs have impaired
absorption, they should be periodically tested for both serum B12 and
folate so that the treatment is appropriate & safe.  In some instances,
the blood tests for B12 are unreliable, so the safest course of action is
to supplement with both B12 and folic acid.  The sublingual route is
generally well absorbed & well tolerated.  Sublingual tablets containing
B12 and folic acid are available in many areas.  ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.