From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:05:37 -0500
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:16:32 +1000, Phosphor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>what is the evidence for vitamin A toxicity due to eating liver;
>and, how much vitamin A causes this toxicity?

Vitamin A toxicity emerges as I have derived from the literature if amounts
starting at about 10 times RDA are eaten over a longer time period (1 year).
There are some death cases reported, particularly in children, where the
accumulation seems to take up earlier and the tolerances are lesser.

3 or 4 times RDA would be safe for a long time, I suppose.
Well, but the stuff just accumulates and the body can't deny intake of
animal retinol. Therefore it would be a question of time.
Humans don't have a vitamin-A detoxifying capacity.
Genetic evolved predators like cats have it.

Of course before death a lot if deseases would show up.
For hypervitaminose "A", I know that changes in the bones happen.
Who knows what else. Better stay way below a toxic dose, most items do have
a toxic dosage and for vitamin A it's shure.

Liver is a excellent source of vitamins, it once was the vitamin *storage*
of an animal.
I hope you're not so depressed on vitamins that you *need* such a
concentrate. Some people do.

By the way, my vitamin A levels have been checked too.
After 15 years of plants only, with a little of dairy (which has animal
vitamin A) my levels were at 662. Healthy range is between 200 and 1000.
Perfect.
I didn't take special care of vitamin A sources and didn't take vitamin A
supplements. And it was before I met red palm oil.

But I like dark many green and red vegetables.
It was easy enough for my body to "make" retinol out of the carotenes I ate.
It should be easy. I've read that carotene is just two retinol molecules
tail-hooked together.

Amadeus S.