C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:33:06 -0400
I have no problem with Kyle, Bobby, and Ken doing their thing, it provides me with a lot of amusement, and frankly, I think it's cool.  Sorry if you don't like it, but I'm glad we allow off-topic discussions here.  It'd be awfully dull if we didn't.  And if that person had stuck around he or she would have discovered we do talk about CP.  They didn't give us a chance, that's all.

As for religion, I'm not crazy about paganism or fundamentalism.  However I'm willing to learn as long as I'm not preached to.

Kat

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:21:00 -0400 Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Deri,

       You have such a way with words!! I love it.

> You're on a lot firmer ground here, questioning both my intelligence
> and my sanity, has got to be a win/win everytime. ;-)

         I think your sanity if fine - I think maybe its benchmark for what
sanity should be!! Can you loan me some? LOL

> Still I do find it a little worrisome that your admitted intention was
> to blacken someone's name privately, off list.

        Well, as I said I thought I was only talking Kyle.  If the truth
blackens someone - maybe they should watch their actions. It would be one
thing if I were lying trying to make trouble. But I speak the truth. You can
family and forcing her to do things and how she drops them. Mind you I am
one of those people who "forced" her to do things. The whole way we met was
over her interest in Paganism and then she has the gall to say I forced
her..... NOT. I was glad she had her church and church friends and got out
of the house. While I have little patience with  fundemetalism, I have no
problem with religions in general. She was the first person to jump on the
bandwagon agianst Christians when we got to together..... just as she jumps
on the bandwagon against "TABS"....I am sorry if the truth is ugly.

         I upset people becasue they take my devil advocate position as a
serious put down to them rather than a simple example of things from a
different perspective. Just like Kyle got upset about the finanacial way I
showed child support. It wasn't against him - it was another to look at it.
People tend to think if you aren't with them you are against when you may
truly not give damn one way or the other. Someone decided after I wrote
something I wasn't sympathic to disabled folks why becasue I put out a
different view. Which amuses me - I have a disabled child, disabled boss,
disabled students, disabled friends, other disabled family and disabled
customers as well being disabled myself. I am one who caught herself
wondering what was wrong with that child becasue it was normal.

        I have full sympathy for people but I do have a pet peeve about
whining about it. I do remember way back - someone else asking someone if
they wanted a little cheese with their whine. This list is a click and
mostly its the Kyle, Ken and Bobby hour - some one off list told me this was
the most content free list they had ever seen, and they went away without
ever asking for help with the problem they had, since they had CP and came
here for help with a CP related problem - I am afraid that their leaving
says something about the value of the list and your ability to make people
feel excluded becasue they don't fit in your groupthink mode.

        How much flack did I get after someone new with a baby ask what is
CP and I made a educational note about with links. How about the mentioning
the parenting and people got miffed - so .... CP people don't have kids ....
don't needs hints on parenting....... Jennifer of the new baby may disagree.
I was amused when someone told me - finally the list was showing some
promise of what a great resource it could be. Basically what you have here
is a homogenous chat group and you police it to make sure it satys that way.
You worry about society sticking you in a cocoon becasue you are disabled -
yet you place yourself in a nice safe cocoon on the list, lets not talk
about contraversal stuff - but you know - disbility is an equal oppurunity
enitity so all intelligence levels, religions, social strata's, and physical
abilities are represented as well as a million opinions and view points.

        I need to have access to a varity of information for Amber and my
students. I also know and acknowlegde that just becasue someone is disabled
doesn't mean they walk on water - last summer my Access class had 3 disabled
students, the most severely affected one worked harder than the one with a
only a vision problem - who spend all his time not coming to class and
leaving the responisibility of his work on all of us making an exception for
him. okay end of lengthy typying session - and I hate typing!!!.

                                Trisha