Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:08:32 -0400

Thanks to all of you who responded.  The large majority who wrote were for
me to post a summary.  This is what was received.

"Leaky Gut Syndrome abnormal intestinal permeability.  Your doctor would
have to do lots of tests regarding allergies, fungus, and other things that
doctors know about but I am not expert in. In some parts of the country
treatment of intestinal disorders such as candida is deemed to be quackery
so you may have to look around for a doctor. Whatever you do, make sure you
see a MD and be careful of pseudo doctors who don't have the same level of
accountability."

"I have been diagnosed as having leaky gut, but not by a medical doctor, by
a homeopathic person.  The food one eats is not always used to the full
extent, and some of the particles pass into the blood stream, not a good
thing.
Look it up on Google and see what info you can find.
http://www.mdheal.org/leakygut.htm is a very informative site."

"ya got celiac, ya got leaky gut [in most cases]...it's the condition of
flattened
villi that the celiac causes....therefore, enzymes have no place to rest and
do
their job of digesting.
Take with each meal...one Probiotics complex and one L=glutamine capsule [an
amino
acid] to heal leaky gut......very impt because if the gut is not healed,
your rates
of contracting colon cancer remain high."

"Imagine a pair of XS fishnet stocking on an XL lady...same number of holes,
just larger than they are supposed to be....Same with the gut. A healthy gut
allows only small particles of digested nutrients to pass through into the
blood.  When the gut is damaged & inflammed, the holes are larger & un- or
partially digested protein can pass directly into the blood.  These
substances are not supposed to be in the blood.  They can either cause a
direct reaction--as do milk & gluten proteins for autistic children which
act
as opoids (www.gfcfdiet.com), or the body's immune system recognize them as
foreign invaders & need to remove them, setting the body up to develop
secondary food allergies"

"Below are two links which may help you in the plight to understand
Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS).  if you need more informaion, let me know,
I will send it over. Isn't e-mail wonderful? (smiling)"

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/6028/leakygut.htm

http://osiris.sund.ac.uk/autism/gut.htm   (has graphic added

"I can tell you what it is.  Someone else will tell you the how.
"Leaky gut" is when the intestines become more permeable than they
should be, mainly to proteins, which then enter the bloodstream.
This is thought to "irritate" the systems of people in various ways,
including being related to autoimmune diseases and allergies.
Celiac disease is only one cause of the inflammation than can lead
to leaky gut."
"You'll find just about everything you need to know about leaky gut here:

http://www.healthtrust.com/leakygutsyndrome.asp

Someone else sent in this url saying that it has everything we need to know.
http://www.mdheal.org/leakygut.htm

Simone