VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 18:33:51 -0400
I would like to first apologize to those who are non sighted. If I have
shown any insensitivity in any way in any of my emails then I am truly
sorry. I am legally blind but do have some vision. I use screen
magnification. The email Racheal speaks off contained the coding for the
klez virus. In order for the virus to take effect she would have to have
saved it as an .exe then activated it by clicking on. Now, who would
want to do this? :-) The virus was sent improperly much to the
originators dismay or your Eudora didn't uncode it. The email did not
infect your machine and you do not have the virus at least through this.
The reason Norton didn't detect it was because it wasn't the virus in
executable form.

It is possible and highly recommended that you have two virus
protections on your machine. Running both is fine and shouldn't cause a
conflict. To rid yourself of a virus you must run anti virus software or
unfortunately reformat your hard drive. Reformatting your hard drive is
inadvisable unless you know what you are doing. Most newer computers and
Microsoft Windows ME, 2000 and XP have the restore function. This will
in a sense reformat your computer to a date when everything was running
properly. If you purchased Norton System works then there should have
been a program that came with it called 'Go Back'. This is a really good
program that allows you to revert your machine back to a point when your
machine was working properly and virus free. The two girls who wrote
seem to be virus free. As stated always do the virus update and get the
latest virus definitions on a regular basis. Once you download the
updates they will automatically screen your machine and if there is a
virus resident it will let you know and clean it. Norton is very good
but will work with another anti virus program. If you want to disable it
how ever and run another program then right click on the Norton icon by
the clock in the lower right of your machine and choose the 'disable'
menu item. When you reboot the Norton will turn itself back on.

I have a couple links to free anti virus software but unfortunately they
are under a different email program and I can't access both programs at
the same time :-( If you would like these links then I will get them and
send them out. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area then I
would be more then happy to help you out personally.

Mick

--
http://www.campermick.com