From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:55:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/8/02 11:34:12 AM, Barbara Sheppard
<[log in to unmask] writes:

<< At  5.7.02 04:43 PM -0500, Theola wrote:

>Funny thing, I always knew from the time I
>was a little kid that I didn't like sandwiches.  Now I think I know why--my
>little kid self knew they made me feel bad........but SAD culture overrode
>this intrinsic knowledge.

This was the case for me as well.

As a child, I used to wish I could just eat the sandwich fillings and not
the bread, but of course I wasn't allowed to.

The dominant culture prevailed, and I grew up to eat lots of bread in the
belief that it was good for me (while I started to experience some annoying
health problems) - until I discovered paleo a few years ago.

Barbara

I had a similar experience anytime I was ever served pasta. I never wanted
the pasta, only the sauce. Years later after suffering many years of
devastating health problems (severe bipolar disorder and CFS/FMS) I
discovered I have Celiac disease. Actually, to be exact, the diagnosis is
still questionable, by conventional standards. I had only one positive score
of the 5 blood tests commonly used, and my intestinal biopsy was negative.
Nevertheless, the 100% strict adherence to a gluten free and mostly Paleo
diet for the last few years has given me an astounding total recovery from
the bipolar disorder, the Celiac associated skin condition Dermatitis
Herpetiformis, and irritable bowel syndrome. I fear the prior years of
vegetarian eating may have done permanent damage to my thyroid and adrenal
glands, as I still battle some amount of fatigue and fibromyalgia, and must
take some supplemental hormones, "unPaleo" as they might be.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY