VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dino Cardamone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dino Cardamone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:55:01 -0500
Dear list,

Sorry for yet another cross post.  I have tried looking at other sources for
this information, but the truth is, this list is great for fast effective
results.  And, as yet I haven't been warned that what I'm posting is "too"
off topic.  Then again, I could always through in something about technology
just to make it legitimate, but I'd really be wasting time then.

I'm looking for a special kind of music stand for myself.  I'm not blind but
am visually impaired.  I play piano and keyboards and need to read music,
but I can only do that if it is held pretty close to my face.  Most regular
music stands are designed to be placed on the piano, or on the floor in
front of, or to the side of, the piano.

Any of these positions results in the music being too far away from my eyes
to see clearly.  I can lean over the keys to get closer, but that soon grows
very uncomfortable and strained.  Also, I do not read Braille music.

So far, I can not find a device that lets me place music as I've described.
So, either there is one out there hiding from me, or I need to make one
myself.  Suggestions on either will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a description of exactly what I'm looking for.  A regular floor
standing music stand is set on a straight pole with a floor base.  What I'm
looking for is something like that which  has an extending boomlike arm on
the top as well.  This would be very similar to a microphone boom.  But,
this boom will have to be strong enough to support the music stand plus a
potentially substantial weight of book at the end.  So a heavy duty levered
screw, counter weight or springs of some type, may be needed.

The boom would allow the floor stand and pool to be placed either on the
other side of the piano from me or to the side of where I'm sitting.  Then I
could move the boom up or down to position the book as high or as close to
my face as I needed.

Sounds simple enough huh?  So far I've been to at least seven major music
stand sights on the web, and can't find anything of the sort.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Dino Cardamone
Pittsburgh, PA USA