From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 04:35:26 +0000

>For several years now, I've had a cooking method that renders even the
>toughest of tough roasts fork-tender and melt in your mouth delicious.
>E-mail me privately and I'll share the technique....

I've slow-cooked roasts for years following these guidelines: Coat the meat
with some kind of fat like bacon grease, butter, olive oil, whatever
strokes your version of Paleo. You can, of course, also sprinkle on, or
stuff the meat with, garlic, herbs, pepper, paprika, etc. Start it in a hot
oven, about 400 degrees, for 15 minutes or so. This seals the surface and
holds in the juices. Then reduce the heat to the lowest setting your oven
has. You might wish to check the actual temp with an oven thermometer. Use
a meat thermometer in the center of the roast. The idea is to leave the
outside temp at the level you want the meat to achieve at doneness. Paleo
rare is about 135 or less for beef, pork, lamb. Of course, we're not
worried about "killing" germs in the meat. Assuming you can get the oven to
cooperate, you may leave the meat in all day. The longer it sits at the
desired temp, the more tender and flavorful it becomes. If your oven won't
go low enough, turn it off and on periodically. You can juggle the oven to
suit your schedule, too: leave the meat in the oven, turning it off when
the initial 400-degree searing is done. Come back later and turn it on low,
or a bit higher if you're in a hurry. Keep an eye on the meat thermometer
and grab the meat out when it gets close to where you want. For me it's
when I can just see the mercury in the tube, well before it even reaches
the temp scale.

This method produces meat that actually reminds me a lot of how it gets
when you let it sit uncovered in the fridge for days and weeks, soft and
sweet. The low heat method is like ageing or smoking it.

ginny, who occasionally gets nostalgic about the years of great cooking I
no longer do...

All stunts performed without a net!