C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:45:52 -0500
I'm going to do a cut-'n-paste job from several different posts here to save
bandwidth.

Joanne wrote:

> So what is wrong with
> that? Not a thing if we all remember that using the
> delete button may delete an explict post from my
> computer but it won't delete it from C-Palsy archives
> which can be seen by anyone who wants to access
> them.How does this group want to be seen from people
> who are interested in joining and see the archives to
> get an idea of group dynamics.

Joanne again in another post:

And Kat wrote:

>  What I am
> saying is that we need to consider that this is public, it's archived in a
> very accessible site, and anyone can read the messages, even children.
> There is nothing to indicate in the blurb or description that topics can
> (and do) include mature content.  Also, the list is not restricted to
> adults, and anyone can sign up for it or to access the archives.  Sure,
> there's always the delete key on our keyboards, but that's our own pc's.
> What about access through schools and libraries, etc.?

If I understand what you two are saying here (and I believe I do), I guess
we are simply going to have to agree to disagree. Yes anyone can pull return
addresses from the message headers, but that is only a problem if *the
people who are participating in the thread* have a problem with it. Don't
want your name associated with explicit sexual advice? Don't post in those
threads.

However it seems that you are implying you don't want your name associated
with a list generally that from time to time hosts explicit content. I
really don't know what to say to that concern, as I personally find it
rather... far-reaching. I can't see that anyone is going to read the
archives here and think badly of individuals who have never written anything
controversial, but that's just my opinion.

Also - and I don't want to get off on a rant here, but it's difficult for me
not to when this subject gets raised - I flatly reject the "But think of the
children!" reasoning that underlies the comments about school and library
access. Any intelligent, enterprising kid can - and usually will - find
"adult" content on the net regardless of how much handwringing adults do or
how much "censorware" is installed on a given pc. I find arguments that we
must "protect" children from the real world to be highly unconvincing.
Please keep in mind that I have three of my own - aged 13, 9, and 7 - when I
say this. I have never and will never censor their net surfing unless I
believe they've gotten into situations that pose physical danger. It doesn't
work in the short run and in the long run it doesn't help.

Having said all this, I'm throwing in the towel. Obviously many of you are
aghast at the thought of frank discussions of sexuality as it relates to cp
on your list. Fine, so be it. I won't post any.

However, for anyone who *does* think these are legitimate topics, my inbox
is always open. I'm not an expert, but I have been living with cp for 41
years, and I've been having sex for about 25 of those. I'll try to help as
best I can. The sad thing is that *I* have a lot of questions about my own
cp-augmented sexuality, especially as it relates to aging. I'm noticing
changes in my sexual response that can't be chalked up simply to "getting
older". Eventually I was going to pose those questions here, but now...
<shrug>

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, one resource to try is the
disabledsex yahoo group at

The moderator there has cp herself, although the majority of posters seem to
be SCI folk who obviously have very different issues regarding sex than we
do. And yes I have posted some of my own questions there, but a) the average
age on that list seems to be about 25 and b) there aren't that many cp folk
there - certainly none my age.

Before I shut up, I would like to thank Mag and Trisha for evidently
understanding my concerns about sex being a taboo topic here.

Back to my cave,

Brent