Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:27:19 -0500

At last!  I reached someone at Modern Products and she did confirm that
the HVP is made from wheat.   This product is NOT gf.  The box is now in
my trashcan.

Here is a summary of the replies:  Thank you for your feedback!!
Juliane
---------------------------------------

*I haven't found out from the company about their product, but Spike
causes me diarrhea. Did you write to them via snail mail, or call them?

*I didn't respond earlier because I don't remember how I verified this
but I was told (by the manufacturer I think) that the salt free Spike is
gluten free.

* I have used Spike for a long time and have had NO problems with it.  I
never confirmed form the manufacturer but I react to gluten from only
the tiniest particle per million, so I think its just fine.  My problem
is finding it.  Locally Meijers is the only source.

*I've been using Spike and Vegit for about 30 years now and have never
had a
problem, in spit of the hydrolized protein, which may be from wheat.
Many
spices do add wheat in this form to assist purability and enhance taste.

*OK, I just got your message - and want to say I have been a Celiac for
the
last 8 years - and have been using Spike all along (before and after)

I have had no ill effects from it in all this time, and just in case you

are wondering - I can tell if I eat even a small amount of gluten -- the

following day I spend in the bathroom.  This is never happened to me
when I
eat Spike.

*I like Mrs. Dash.

*The company that makes Spike (and Vegit) is Gaylord Seasonings.  They
are based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  I called them last year(sorry, I do
not have the number handy - but if you try information in the 414 area
code, you will find it) because I had used Spike and Vegit all my life (
I am from Wisconsin and it is very popular back there).  They told me
that they could not guarantee their products were gluten free because
there may be some grain based stabilizers in these seasonings.  I have
not found any good substitutes thus far.  I reluctantly use Morton's
natural seasonings or just garlic salt and pepper.

*If the HVP is not specified then it really shouldn't be used.
Apparently
who ever gave you the information about the HVP felt that was sufficient
for
their own decision making process.

*Hi, I was using spike, too, but was told by this list that it wasn't
gluten-free. I tried it a few times after being diagnosed and it did
make me sick, along with their onion magic. I quit using both. No one
ever could tell me what in it was the culprit. Good luck.

*FWIW every spice I have really wanted to use has turned out to have
gluten. I have a pepper mixture that has MSG, which is out for me, and
garlic salt that has flour used to keep it from clumping.  Herbs work
great though. Maybe you can duplicate the spike ingredients yourself.