From:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:05:47 -0700

Dear Friends,

Here are the last of the responses...I believe the reason it has not been listed as a symptom in celiac sprue is perhaps because so few people mention it to their doctors... It would be a worthwhile research project.

Sincerely,
Mary

Good morning Mary,

My celiac daughter loses bladder control on casein (dairy). Onset is about 6 hours.  She has multiple food allergies as well.
T.

I had 2 or 3 years of chronic bladder problems prior to getting GF.  The problems ranged from infection-like urgency and burning (but all the tests for infectious 'critters' came back negative), to getting up 4-5 times a night to urinate, to incontinence.  I lived on cranberry juice for a while, Bactrim for a lot longer, gave up caffeine and a whole lot of other foods and drinks and actually started to believe the doctors who told me it was all psychological.  I was biopsied for interstitial cystitis and a host of other problems.  I was humiliated by having to perform a voiding cystogram in front of an audience of medical students (you don't want to know what this test is!).

What worked for me was 1) getting and staying GF, 2) doing Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and 3) going through menopause.  In fact I can tell when I need to adjust my hormone levels by the way my bladder acts.