From:
Patricia Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:48:50 -0500

Greetings!

Thanks to everyone who replied.  What a wonderful show of support!  I
received many suggestions.  You shared your experiences with me and that
makes me feel not so alone in this.

Possible culprits (common suggestions):

Hidden gluten - foods, cosmetics, toothpaste - list out products used and
ck GF status of all

Food allergies/sensitivities - corn, soy, potato, chocolate, gums (guar,
etc.), canola oil, GF flours, carrageenan, annato

Sensitivity to vitamins/supplements (e.g. - there is polyethylene glycol in
Citracal and supposedly this acts as a laxative - some of you react poorly
to it)

Too many grains - a few of you suggested the SC Diet book, "Breaking the
Vicious Cycle"

Other ideas A

Most prevalent was - "healing takes time". Symptoms may take a while to
improve. 6 months is common; up to or more than a year is possible.

Eat "safe" foods that your body does well with - meats, cooked veggies,
rice, etc.  Introduce new foods only one at a time - slowly.

Other illness - colitis, candida, leaky gut

Take probiotics for a healthy gut

Eat smaller, more frequent meals

There were other ideas but too many to individually mention.

I am trying to stay with my "safe" foods.  I've eliminated lactose, guar
gum and most soy products.  Switched to Freeda multivitamin and
acidophilus.  Have ordered their calcium supplement to stay away from the
PG in Citracal.  With all the dietary changes, I'm sure it will take my
body a while to adjust.  I have had some not-so-good days but am having
some far more "normal" days, so that helps to keep me going!