From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:41:40 +0000

Dear listmates,
I have an interesting observation to report which I hope to get your
feedback on.  I was having an interesting conversation with my husband in
the middle of the night.  I was telling him that I frequently see light
flashes before my eyes during the night and I asked him to tell me if he
sees them, too.  To make a long story short, he told me that he saw them too
and we discovered that it was the flashes of car lights coming thru the
bathroom window and reflecting back to our bedroom.  I was surely relieved.
Well, my husband went on to say that when he's "out of shape" he gets "stars
before his eyes" which was happening when he, for instance, suddenly stood
up from sitting.  My husband who is a PhD immunologist has a collaborator
who studies the eyes.  His collaborator says that by looking at the eyes, he
can tell if someone has diabetes, hypertension, etc.  I then told my husband
that I was chronicly having "stars before my eyes" when I was getting
malabsorption symptoms before we discovered my Celiac (which the doctors had
failed to do) and that when the Gastroenterologist put me on 3 gluten
challenges, it was happening as well.  And what was also interesting is that
after my 3rd gluten challenge, I was having heart symptoms from extreme
weakness and fatigue provoked by the challenge and exacerbation of the
malabsorption, which was diagnosed as "mitral valve regurgitation".  The
cardiologist was also very concerned whether I was getting proper
circulation to my heart.  I then explained that I have malabsorption and
then it seemed the questions evaporated after giving my explanation.
My husband is already aware that during my most malabsorption symptoms, I
was having difficulty adjusting from darkness to lightness which I managed
to combat with more vit. A - eating carrots.
I am GF 4 months now and the "stars before the eyes" stopped occurring after
my malabsorption symptoms improved.  Has anyone else had these "stars" which
were sometimes accompanied by fatigue or dizziness, etc.?  Laura