From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 22:10:01 -1000
I get the exact same response due to certain allergens (including
lettuce, yes it is possible).  To determine if it is an allergy:

#1:  Don't lump all "leafy greens" in one big group.  Instead, test each
one at a time.

#2:  Try cooking them.  This tends to neutralize proteins in the plant
which make it less likely to trigger an allergic response.  Of course,
other changes occur as well so this one might not answer the question
about allergy.

It could be that you have this response to only one type of leafy green
vegetable, so it then would be very easy to avoid the problem.
Remember, if it has protein in it (all plants do) then it is a potential
allergen.  Allergens tend to be quite specific.  In my case, my allergic
response is quite different between apples and pears, despite the fact
that they are so close to each other they can hybrid.

If it does turn out to be allergic in nature, then there are things you
can do if you really want to eat that green.  Cooking, fermenting, and
spacing.  Sometimes it is possible to handle a food once a week but not
every two days, for example.  Sometimes the opposite works, eating it
every single day.  Sometimes (but not always) cooking or fermenting the
vegetable prevents the allergic response.  I've had to do this to a lot
of foods, unfortunately.  My allergist suggested that I try applesauce,
even though I am fairly significantly allergic to raw apples.  I thought
she was crazy, but decided to give it one try anyway.  Amazing!  No
problems at all.

Personally, I don't think humans are well adapted to leafy green
vegetables, even though they may be nutritious, it's obvious that our
digestive tracts are not adapted to handle large amounts of them, nor to
derive any substantial amount of our energy needs from them.

Erik