From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 00:05:40 -1000
> Hullo all - I have spent some weeks reading all your
> posts with great interest after joining this list, and
> trying to get an understanding of your exepriences
> during that time. I first tried eating based on

Okay, well, have you tried starchy tubers?  Might be a better option
than grain (although I don't consider buckwheat to be a grain).  Sweet
potato, taro root?  These are great options.  I strongly suspect they
are paleo, especially if you allow cooking in your paleo diet.  Also
tapioca (which is cassava root) might be an option.  Of the grains, by
what I hear, wild rice and buckwheat are best, but if you just need
carbs, there are paleo options.  Don't forget honey!
Buckwheat is more like a fruit.  Here in Hawai'i, we've got a lot of
options for "starchy" fruits, such as breadfruit.  Also a huge variety
of starchy tubers.

Personally I feel best when I keep my carbs between 50-80 a day.  Then I
don't have problems with anxiety, nightmares, and irritability.  To be
honest, I don't think ketosis is for everybody.   After some
experimentation, I have found that adding a little sea salt to my diet
helps with SOME but not all of the negative symptoms of ketosis (for me)
but in the end, the only real solution for me is to stay out of
ketosis.  I do not gain weight on 50-80 carbs a day, so it doesn't
matter.  Sugary fruit (such as pineapple) can also keep me out of
ketosis but sometimes gives me other (minor) problems.  Sugar, and not
just carbs, seems to worsen my allergies.  I suspect that the problem
sugar is sucrose specifically.  Fructose does not seem to create sugar
problems for me, but neither can it kick me out of ketosis.  Taro is
nice - it keeps me out of ketosis, does not create "sugar" problems (in
my case, sometimes I get peeling skin and worsened allergies) and I'm
not independently allergic to it.  And it tastes great -- poi is just
pounded, steamed taro, so I'll eat that, or boiled taro root.

Erik